Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy 2008 from Alexandria, VA

I'm so glad we're NOT in the city - Gus and I are staying at the Hampton Inn in Alexandria, just across the Potomac River from Washington D.C. but a WORLD away. We're very close to the waterfront and just a block from the metro/subway which takes Gus directly to work near the Capitol. I love the architecture and all the historic sites here. It's so quaint, quiet and our street alone has more decent restaurants than the entire Black Hills area! I plan to visit as many as my weird stomach will allow because when we return to Custer I plan to throw my car keys in the trash thus limiting my dining-out possibilities.

Oh, I love it here but THE WEATHER SUCKS! Today it's dumping like it does in Utah and all area schools are closed. Gus has been here for a month and had been raving about the great weather. Mostly 50's and dry and one wonderful day it was 71 degrees! Of course that all changed the day before I arrived and the forecast is for more cold and snow. My first night here was extremely cold but I didn't care at first. We walked six blocks to dinner and then to an Irish pub for a pint. It was so much fun - there was an Irish folk singer playing and the whole crowd sang along. However, the walk back to hotel was hell. I had forgotten what East-Coast Cold feels like. I'll take Custer Cold any day over this humid cold.

We lucked out yesterday though. It was the calm before the storm and Gus took the day off to show me around. It was sunny and in the mid 30's and despite the chilling wind we walked to the river and had a wonderful lunch. We also went to the Torpedo Art Center, a former torpedo factory located on the waterfront. It's a world-renowned art center with three floors of open studios and galleries to observe artists working. My legs were tired so I only explored the first floor galleries but I will go back later this week. I plan to spend my days exploring Alexandria in the coming days (weather permitting) and will save my D.C. explorations until next week when Scott's Mom and sister, Dianne, are here.

We also are looking forward to seeing Heather and Curt (our friends from S.D. who recently moved to Pennsylvania last year) if they can make it down in this weather!

I hope 2008 brings you all great health and happiness.

I, for one, am so glad that 2007 is finally over! I don't usually anthropomorphize an actual YEAR, but this the one was really very mean to me and Rocky and indirectly to Scott. 2007 was a five-car-accident, four-cavity, three-root-canal, two-extraction, one-crown (and a partridge in a pear tree) year. Plus a bad fall in which I hurt my back back more than it already was. Oh yeah, and the strange gastro-intestinal funk thing.

However, as bad as the year was, I would do it all over again just to repeat our incredible Autumn road trip during which Scott and I camped for the first time since my stoke ten years ago. I have many stories to share and will write about them eventually!

More from Alexandria soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're having fun so far! Hope the weather warms up for you. Have fun, see you when you get back.