Saturday, December 22, 2007

Not My Year!

I just arrived in Utah and, what can I say? This just isn't my year... automatively. Yes, ANOTHER accident! This one wasn't my fault either. Here's what happened: a huge snow storm came through Utah on Thursday night and left the roads a mess but I had to get to Salt Lake City for my first root canal ever so I braved the commute. After the root canal, I drove straight to my sister's house, pulled into the driveway and the damn house crashed into me! Can you belive it? Okay, that's not exactly what happened, it was more like my snowy boot slipped off the break and onto to the gas, sending Rocky, our car, into the side of the house. Nick said he felt the hit from way on the other side of the house. The house was okay… the car, not so much. I didn’t get out to the look at the damage; I went straight to the crying and freaking out. I called Layle on my cell to come out of the house and she talked me down so I was only moderately hysterical for the next hour.

Layle and Nick – what angels! Within 20 minutes, they called the insurance company, the auto repair shop AND Gus. I was so mortified to tell him I wrecked our only car for the FOURTH TIME this year! After Layle told him, I talked to him and he just laughed. After all, he said, that's why we have insurance. Besides, the other three wrecks ruined our resale value as well as poor Rocky’s self esteem. This accident is pretty bad: broken headlight, hood, bumper, fender and the driver’s side door won’t open. That's one tough house! Sigh…

Before this year, I only had one accident and that was in 1988. It wasn't my fault either (seriously). I've had only ONE ticket in my life and that was also in 1988. I've taken more solo road trips than you can shake a stick at - I still drive to Utah from Custer two or three times a year and I drive to Rapid City from Custer all the time (50 miles). Not to mention all the California road trips and Grateful Dead tours I've done since I was sixteen. Up until 2007, my driving record was spotless. WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW???? I'm hoping that 2008 will be a kinder, gentler year for Rocky and me. I am EXTREMELY grateful that no one has been injured in my accidents - other than my back and neck, but, give me a break! Enough is enough. Rocky will be in the shop for the rest of this year and hopefully the bad car ju-ju will be over by 2008.

In other news, it's been a few days since the accident and root canal and today I woke up in a lot of pain with a swollen face and a migraine. I called the endodontist who is worried that the infection might become systemtic so he called in a prescription for an even stronger antibiotic than the one I'm already on. He said I need to get it ASAP. So over the river and through the woods to the pharmacy we go... Actually, Layle is going to pick it up for me right now. The Koncars are taking such good care of me! Even seven-year-old Sam is doing his part to make Aunt Laney feel better. He is letting me sleep with his beloved teddybear and last night he offered to buy me a pizza with his own money. He always open doors for me, is my offical cane-carrier and gives me wonderful back rubs (watch out, Juli!)

I am going back after the holidays to have another root canal and then to my regular dentist in Park City so he can fix three more teeth. I'll also have a consultation with an oral surgeon about the three implants I need. I'm thinking that dentures may be easier! Meeting Gus in Washington D.C. is dangerously close to not happening. My mouth needs to be somewhat stable because the last thing I need is to be looking for a dentist in a big city without a car.

It’s not all bad news, though. I am safely in Sandy with no plans to get behind the wheel for a while. Yesterday the whole Koncar family and I went to see National Treasure II which was partially filmed in the Black Hills. It was fun to see my “backyard” on the big screen even though the movie wasn't very believable. I'm really looking forward to the Annual Koncar Christmas Dinner. We always have such a blast!

After Christmas I'm staying with Mom and John in Park City and can't wait to see all my P.C., Heber, Francis, etc. friends! I have my dental and physical therapy appointments but other than that, I have a free schedule until I go to D.C. and want to see you all.

I want to wish you all happy holidays and to quote my friend Heather from back east:

"Best wishes for a environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all."

"I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee. Have a Happy Non-Denomination Winter Holiday."

1 comment:

TidePool said...

I wish I could take credit for the PC holiday wishes, but they came from an e-mail I couldn't resist forwarding. Nevertheless, I do wish you a blessed belated solstice and nothing but happiness, joy and health in 2008 and beyond. You deserve it, mi amiga!
Heather