Sunday, January 20, 2008

East Coast Cold (or King Street Blues)

Our hotel is on beautiful King Street and last night was so warm we walked 7 blocks to dinner. This morning, however, was a different story. To start with, the entire hotel had a brutal wake-up call. Apparently someone downstairs put a danish in the microwave for like 1/2 hour and it caught fire. The fire department had to come turn off the alarm which took at least 15 minutes and I couldn't handle noise! I decided to go to the coffee shop across the street and proceeded to put my pants on backwards, spilled my water and couldn't find my room key or gloves (did I mention I couldn't handle the noise? Seriously, my brain doesn't work in these situations).

Today I learned (or relearned) a couple things about fire protocol in a public building. One - elevators don't work (note to self: do not stay on the 5th floor because walking down stairs is not your speciality). And two - make sure to look at the map of the fire exits when you first check in.

After I FINALLY made it out of the building, the cold air and arctic wind hit me like a line-backer (sorry for the cheesy metaphor but it's football Sunday, after all). Although the coffee shop is across the street, it seemed like a mile. Not quite "Lambeau Field cold" but close. I guess I can handle it for 3 minutes if you can handle it for 3 hours tonight, Mr. Favre! Oh, how I want the Packers to win and the Cheatin' Patriots to lose. For those of you football fans, enjoy the games! Everyone else, have a nice regular Sunday :-)

No comments: