Friday, May 30, 2008

Thanks so much to those of you who have sent cards, emails, and flower! It means so much to me.

I have to tell you about the surgery center where I had my operation because it was so unreal. First of all, I had a choice where to have my surgery, the regular hospital or the Black Hills Surgery Center. Because my insurance covers both facilities I opted for the latter. There IS no comparison! We’re talking Motel 6 vs. the Marriott or a plain and tiny dog house vs. a pimped-out, diamond-studded dog house. Seriously, the BHSC was incredible: private suites, made-to-order gourmet meals, etc. The first night Gus had Buffalo Tenderloin and I had a Parmesan and Panko Crusted Walleye with herbed couscous and for dessert, a chocolate-friggin’-soufflĂ©! They made me a hand-made REAL banana shake in the middle of the day and if they don’t have something you want, they will get it. Weeks before the surgery they sent out a preference questionnaire which asked, among other things: what magazines to you like to read? What’s your favorite snack? What kind of beer does Gus Like? What movies would like to see, etc. Of course when we checked into our suite it was ALL there!

Oh yeah, I can’t forget the medical care… hand downs the best I’ve ever had. The nurses only have three patients each and they have two nurses’ assistants to help so the ratio is one nurse or assistant per patient. How bout them apples, my nurse friends??? The nurses are obviously thrilled to work there because they can really do their jobs well without time constraints.

Scott went back to work today but he’s just a phone call away. His office is three blocks from our house. Besides, I can’t do ANYTHING but lie on the couch and watch TV or read or, obviously, work on my laptop. I’m still in a lot of pain and will be for weeks. But today it’s hard to be still. The sun is out for the first time in a week and all I want is to touch the soil and check to see how my worms are doing after such a long winter. I thought about going to just SEE the garden but my shoes won’t go on by themselves and I can’t bend over. Hopefully I’ll be able to do so soon – baby steps, right?

No comments: