Monday, May 19, 2008

Papa's Passing and My Surgery


My grandfather, "Papa" died a few days ago. Although I haven't talked to her since, I read my sister's blog and, what can I say? We think exactly alike. The following quote is from her blog (http://laylekoncar.typepad.com/) but is exactly what I would have written here:

"I'm so grateful for the relationship I had with him. So grateful that I was able to spend time with him in California a few weeks ago. I knew deep down when I said goodbye, gave him a big kiss and a hug and told him I loved him. I knew deep down that I wouldn't be seeing him again. It was as if he felt like he could let go. We'd said goodbye our final goodbyes to my Grandma that weekend. We had all our family together. It was almost as if he felt he could let go after that weekend."

We both knew in our hearts that he was ready to go and the mind and body are mysterious, maybe he "planned" to go now. I think he was at peace after finally getting grandma to her final resting spot.

I may be a little biased but they were the BEST grandparents in the world. My most precious memories are of spending time with them in Anaheim, CA where they lived for 40 years. If I could go back to any place and time, it would be there, in the backyard - Papa grilling halibut and everyone laughing, always. Playing cards and drinking the virgin daiquiris Papa made especially for Layle and I.

They both are deeply missed.

And now for something totally different...

After a very weird cardiac stress test, x-rays and the usual brain MRI, I have been cleared for my back surgery on Wednesday the 21st at Black Hills Surgery Center. I'm completely confidant that my body is ready and my Surgeon is one of the best in the nation. As far as they can tell, I am AVM-free!

I'll be in the hospital for 3 days then home. Scott is taking ten days off to care for me. After all, we really have no idea how my body will react after the surgery. I could be up and getting around fine in a week or I could be completely incapacitated and in wheel chair (highly unlikely). You know that when my body is in major pain and stress, I can barely walk and shake like crazy. So, I may have to come to Utah anyway as scheduled so the Woerners and Warrens can look after me after Scott goes back to work. After all, it takes a lot of energy and enormous mental strength to deal with me :-) I fully understand what an undertaking taking care of me is.

I expect a full recovery and will be following all my doctor's orders (Scott will make sure of that!)

The garden is planted and Scott and friends will be looking after it for me while I'm down.

Oh, I almost forgot! We have lovely new neighbors with whom I speak all the time because I'm in the garden and they are an active family, always walking the kids to the park down the street. When they pass our house we chat until Leah and Charlie are ready to hit the swings. Jay (dad) is the new chef at the Sage Creek Grille (our favorite restaurant) and last night he brought us THE BEST hot and sour and garlic chicken that he made at home. How lucky are we??? Monica (mom) is very busy with Leah, Gigi and Charlie, their three kids. Gigi is an infant and Charlie is a high-functioning autistic, neither whom I feel I could babysit but I am planning on having Leah over for awhile - we'll paint (at least my art supplies will get SOME use!) and I will read her "Bullfrog Grows Up" and "Bullfrog Builds a House" which, according to the inscription, my dad gave me in 1970. I look forward to recovering enough to have Leah come visit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture of you and Papa, Laney! Will you email me the one of Grandma and Papa?

Good luck with the surgery, I'll call you later today!

Anonymous said...

Good laney! My thoughts are with you! Much love.seth

Anonymous said...

Laney: Hope the surgery went without a hitch. They'll have you up and moving in no time. The care you get at the Surgery Center is top notch, so I'm sure you'll be home soon.
Thinking of you today as we sit grounded in Bozeman. Our little plane couldn't make it over the mountains yesterday due to the winds so we're visiting friends for a few days until the bad weather passes. Then resuming our trip to Alaska. So I look forward to checking your blog for a few more days. GET BETTER! Penny and Dennis

Anonymous said...

Hi LAney! This is Layle's friend Vicki. I know you are in recovery as I write this and I hope everything went well. You take care of yourself! I will be thinking about you.

Sorry about your Grandpa. It's so nice that you and Layle had a chance to see him before he passed.