Sunday, October 25, 2009

Walking...

Okay, here it is. This is not my best or fastest walking because I'm still suffering from stage-fright when the camera's on but YAAAAAAAAY!



I can't express how happy this makes me. My stroke was 12 years ago but I can suddenly walk without my cane and without my limp. Holly B., what can I say, without you this wouldn't have happened. THANK YOU! Tass, without YOU, I wouldn't have Holly :-). Mom, Dad and John, thanks for the encouragement you sent after my last post. Anthony, thanks for expert advice over the years. Cindy, you inspired me to make up a song to sing to Dundee when we walk. Bonnie, maybe we'll have to get snow shoes now - either that or become mall-walkers!

Back to our trip... we just drove through Hanksville, UT, which is where Gus almost got a job earlier this year. About 10 miles after Hanksville we stopped at Mesa Farm Market (http://www.mesafarmmarket.com) for coffee (the BEST coffee of the trip so far) and very yummy cinnamon rolls and ended up with SO much more: hand made fresh chevre from their goats, hand made organic bread and very interesting conversation with Randy, the proprietor, that basically made us very glad that we did not move to Hanksville. Randy said that last person to hold the position for which Gus applied was basically run out of town after his children and wife were threatened all because the man didn't cow-tow (sp?) to the locals who were opposed to conservation parts of the recreation planning which is part of the job. Everything happens for a reason - sometimes it takes a while for that reason to become clear.

We are now in Torrey, Utah, just outside Capitol Reef N.P. where Cindy and I first camped together in the spring of 1989 during a field trip in college. We'll spend a few days in Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon before going to Zion for three balmy days - 60's and 70's. We're really looking forward to spending time in the "old neighborhood" for our 8th anniversary.

5 comments:

Camille Riner said...

Awesome Laney!! Have a warm wonderful winter out walking to enjoy it all. See you when you return to the hills.

Camille

Layle said...

No way! That's so awesome Laney! Yay! Looking forward to seeing it in person next week!

TidePool said...

So there are places that are actually more conservative than the Black Hills?

WOW--the video is fabulous, Laney! I am absolutely thrilled for you!

Enjoy your wanderings--
XO hm

SoDak said...

Laney, you rock! Your video is great. I'm sure you two, i mean three, are having a good time. Have you been able to walk farther into the desert now? I am really happy for you.

chris and kerri

Seth Warren said...

Hey Laney!

It's been a long time. I was just checking out your blog. I feel bad for being do dis-connected from you. I was really inspired by reading your most recent posts, and I'm so glad that you are getting things sorted out with your back. Looks like you are getting in a fair bit of traveling too! Good goes it. Anyways, I'm just hunkering down up here in Montana. I'm about to finish my new film (2 years in the works!). I'm really happy with how it is turning out. Maybe we can zip over to the Black Hills for a visit one of these days! Love you!